Healthy Tuscan Penne & Sausage
How Long is This Going to Take?
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
Ready in: 30 min
Yields: 4 Servings
What Do I Need to Make This Meal?
- 4 bun sized links Packaged Fully Cooked Turkey Sausage (looks like a big hot dog), Cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 cloves or about 2 Tbsp.Minced Garlic, Can be from jar or fresh
- 1 each Large size Red & Green Bell Pepper, Chopped or Diced
- 3 handfuls Fresh Spinach, Wash and Dry first
- 3 Tbsp. Dried Italian Seasoning, Add more to taste. You can substitute fresh basil, parsley, oregano if you have it
- 4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. Balsamic Reduction, Optional – can sub balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 Tsp. Mrs Dash or salt/pepper, Add salt, pepper, and/or Mrs Dash to taste
- 4 Servings Cooked Penne Pasta, A serving is 3/4 cup Dry Pasta, so you need 3 cups dry pasta
So, How Does it All Go Together?
- Cook your pasta! This should be cooking while you prep and start cooking the rest of the ingredients. That way it is all set to use when you get to that step!
- Chop your peppers into reasonably bite sized pieces.
- Slice your Turkey Sausage into round pieces about 1/4 inch or so thick.
- Prepare your Garlic. If using fresh garlic, clean and mince it until you have around 3 Tbsp. If using minced in a jar – you’re all set!
- In a 12 inch fairly deep skillet you need to heat your extra virgin olive oil over medium to medium high heat. Add Garlic and all the peppers. Cook until peppers begin to soften. Your kitchen will smell wonderful.
- Add the sliced sausage to the pan along with your Italian seasonings or fresh herbs and your salt and pepper or Mrs. Dash. Cook until sausage starts to show slight browning on the surfaces.
- Your pasta should be done by now, so drain it, and rinse it in cold water to stop it from cooking. Add the pasta to the Skillet and mix into the ingredients you have been cooking.
- Add the spinach, tossing or stirring until the spinach wilts. You may want a little more extra virgin olive oil at this point depending on how well coated the pasta has become. You can also add more seasonings to suit your taste.
- If you are using either balsamic option, add it now and toss or stir to incorporate.
- Serve warm. You will want to split the meal into 4 even portions to be sure about your calories.
- Well done! Now, sit down, relax and enjoy your amazing dinner.